Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wallet or Purse?

What is the difference between a Wallet and a Purse? Both as far as I know perform the same function. They hold your paper money, coins, credit cards etc. But why the different names?

I know they come in different styles for men and women, but why the different names?

I was looking on the Filofax UK site and I was looking at their 'leather accessories' section and then I saw Malden... must have a look.

Even Filofax has fallen in to this trap though.. I quite liked the look of the this Malden 'purse' in black. I thought that would be quite smart and secure. I want something that only carries cards, money, coins and my passport. That looks big enough and secure enough?

However, if you go back a step to the front page and see that you can select on 'gender' click on male and look everything is a wallet. Click on female and it's a purse. 

So it looks like I might have to go against convention once again... man bag plus purse... it's a bit worrying isn't it!

6 comments:

  1. Just checked the French site and the wording there:

    http://www.filofax.fr/store/businessdetails.asp?catId=6&productId=514

    Large zipped wallet.... I like the French!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to Wikipedia, a wallet "[...] is a small, flat case that is used to carry personal items such as cash, credit cards, identification documents [...] photographs, business cards and other paper or laminated cards."

    "A coin purse is a small money bag or pouch, similar to a wallet, but typically used by women and include a compartment for coins. In some countries, it is known simply as a purse.".

    We have the same distinction in German: a wallet (carried by a man) is called a "Brieftasche" and a purse (carried by a woman) is a "(Geld-)Börse".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in the US (as far as I've known it), a wallet holds money, credit cards, and coins - most have a zipper pocket for coins. A purse is the same thing as a ladies' handbag, so strictly just for women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what kanalt said: wallet is wallet for men and women. Purse = ladies' handbag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not think a passport would fit? As it does not look wide enough, but the black looks a bit more male, but i still cant imagine it, i just dont know why, maybe its the style?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...